Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Muscle factor

It's odd how straightforward we want romance to be (or male-female relationships in general, for that matter), and likewise no surprise that our clear notions about what makes a man tick or a woman va-va-voom get halted. Our frail hope that the "secret" to the opposite sex is somehow buried in a dusty tome or outlined in geometric perfection in some trumped up self-help manual is continually frustrated by new feelings, recurring yet rudely refreshing epiphanies.

Some time ago I had deluded myself into thinking that all I needed was flowers and fudge to woo my would-be. (Some oversimplification inherent in the aforementioned.) True, there are those women who are easily snared by those fleeting tokens, but they're not the kind of woman anyone wants for long, at least not in my reckoning, if only because they're so cheaply won. My issue is that I honestly have a drought of character, of... whatever it is that makes a man seem manly. (Hence the need for a supplementary arsenal.) I'm not adventurous, nor courageous, not too smart, funny or charming... I don't have that muscle factor that though women suggest is not important still seems powerful enough to secure their affection anyway.

Is it wrong that I still want, nay demand that at some point a woman will swoon because of me??? Ugh. This tired "me" again... I should have left it chained and gagged in the archives. Poo.

4 comments:

  1. Every pot has a lid, Taylor. Or at least that's what they tell me. And just because you can attract lots of different people doesn't mean you're compatible with all of them, or any of them. I actually don't understand that aspect of romance... the actual romancing, the making someone fall for you with gifts and pretty speeches and whatnot. The best thing a guy can do to sweep a girl off her feet is to be the right guy: a good companion, a perfect fit. Having a "factor" is good for nothing, really. Sorry to pop a hole in that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Liz. It's not about levels or being better than someone else. It's about CLICKING, being right for each other... It's hard to explain, and very precious and delicate when it does happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should clarify, should anyone care, that I did not mean to suggest I want to BETTER than anyone. I just want to be appreciated on a level that I haven't experienced... EVER. That is, women don't go ga-ga... I want the ga-ga. No doubt you super-cerebrals or habitual naysayers refuse to understand the undertones and emotional yearning with which I am regularly plagued, and to that I say, Poo. Poo. and ... yes, Poo.

    ReplyDelete